Ellis Park Cancels Training, Sunday Card After Overnight Barn Fire - Horse Racing News | Paulick Report

Ellis Park Cancels Training, Sunday Card After Overnight Barn Fire

The receiving barn at Ellis Park is a total loss after an early Sunday morning fire.

A fire engulfed the receiving barn at Ellis Park in Henderson, Ky., early Sunday morning, leading to the evacuation of seven horses housed there. No injuries to any persons were reported while one horse suffered a minor injury in the fire.

Ellis Park general manager Jeff Inman and Baskett Fire Chief Brent Morrow held a press conference Sunday to share more information about the early morning barn fire.

Inman said that Ellis Park security personnel were patrolling the backside between 4:00 and 4:15 a.m. when they saw signs of a fire in the receiving barn. They called 911 at 4:21 a.m. Both security personnel and grooms from nearby barns went to work getting the seven horses housed in the barn out, with one horse found to have a minor injury from the fire. At 4:39 am, first responders arrived, with seven departments working to put out the fire. As of this morning, the fire appears to be out, though some fire personnel are still on hand to take care of any remaining hot spots, according to Inman.

The 48-stall receiving barn, remodeled in 1996, is a total loss. Inman said that the track would consolidate horses currently stabled on the backside to open up stalls for ship-ins going forward. Sunday training and racing are cancelled with training set to resume Monday while live racing will return Friday, Aug. 27.

While the fire is still under investigation, Inman said that the fire department believes that this incident is electrical in nature, possibly ignited when a water cooler shorted out.

According to the Washington Post, the horse injured in the fire was Bold and Bossy, the same 2-year-old filly who escaped Ellis Park Saturday after acting up in the post parade and unseating jockey Miguel Mena. Pursued by horsemen and first responders, the filly was loose on Highway 41 and Interstate 69 for 30 minutes before being caught and returned to Ellis Park. She remained in the receiving barn overnight to recuperate from dehydration suffered during her escape. When the fire broke out early Sunday morning, security personnel and grooms from nearby barns rescued the seven horses housed in the receiving barn, including Bold and Bossy, but not before the filly suffered burns to her neck and withers.

Bold and Bossy is currently being treated at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky. Read more at the Washington Post.

Paulick Report Icon

Receive daily headlines, breaking news alerts, promotions, and much more!

Become An Insider

Support our journalism and access bonus content on our Patreon stream

Learn More